16 Soothing Strep Throat Home Remedies


Not many people with sore throats have bacterial infections. According to the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement, viruses cause 85 to 95 percent of throat infections in adults and children younger than 5 years of age. Viruses cause about 70 percent of throat infections in those aged 5 to 15 years, with the other 30 percent due to bacterial infections, mostly group A strep. Natural sore throat remedies should be your first choice, as antibiotic treatment will not help a viral infection. (1)

It can be hard to tell the difference between strep throat symptoms and symptoms of a viral infection. Remember, while trying to make a self-diagnosis, that strep throat doesn’t include cold symptoms, like coughing, sneezing or runny nose. If you have a sore throat with cold symptoms, it’s likely caused by a viral infection and it’s not strep throat. (2) Try strep throat home remedies to find some relief from your symptoms.